Hurray For Uncertainty!

Shares

Celebrate The Temporary–Which is Always Uncertain

There’s been a lot of talk during the current political campaign about how American businesses and corporations and big banks are sitting on two trillion dollars because they are uncertain about the tax and regulation system managed by the federal government. This is ridiculous. True entrepreneurs thrive on uncertainty. I don’t know of a single business person of great accomplishment and high integrity who has held off investing in or expanding something because he is worried about what next year’s taxes and regulations will be.

But this isn’t rationality we are talking about, this is a myth being perpetrated by politicians campaigning against their ideological opposites. And since it is the stuff of fantasy rather than something based on fact, I think clarity needs to come from a metaphysical, spiritual source rather than business forecasters, economists, and accountants. That’s why I was so pleased to see the article by Leo Babauta, which my friend Carol Fow in Miami sent me.

http://zenhabits.net/uncertainty/

Just look at the brilliant simplicity of the opening sentence, “Fear of an uncertain future: it can stop us from doing great things, and it can keep us holding onto things that are hurting us.”

Carol sending this to me at this time is pretty serendipitous. For instance the next sentence talks about holding onto clutter. My Moneylove Club prosperity dialogue audio with Feng Shui expert and Money Magnet guru, Marie-Claire Carlyle, had her talking a lot about how our minds are cluttered and need clearing out.

And even more serendipity for me, as the 4th paragraph says, “…you might not travel to a country that feels very unfamiliar because you don’t know what will happen–and miss out on an amazing life-changing experience.”

Well, that’s exactly what I’m doing in 12 days, visiting Panama for the first time, with every intention of relocating there in February. Some friends have asked, “Why Panama?” and: “What if you don’t like it?”  Well, one reason is because Panama is perched on the edge of a massive economic transformation in Latin America, and the newly approved treaty with the U.S. will mean even more opportunities, and more interest in motivational programs, and also my other avenue of creative effort, stand-up comedy. But more than that, I have a good friend and huge Moneylove fan, Tony Busse, who lives there and knows everyone and every network that is tuned into the very large ex-pat community. And he’s a very smart entrepreneur and marketing person, with a lot of knowledge and skill in exactly the areas in which I am deficient. More than anyone I have encountered since my release from prison, he has a vision of how I can impact part of the world, in this case Latin America, and is prepared to do something about it. A lot of other people, some famous, have approached me with their vision, but then failed to follow through or walk their talk in any way.

That’s why Panama. But the other question reflects on my basic life philosophy about risk, and dealing with uncertainty. I never go into a new venture without weighing the potential downside. Maybe I won’t like the Panamanian culture, or won’t be able to learn even basic Spanish, or the food will disagree with me, or I’ll miss all the cultural activities available in San Francisco. Of course, some of that, maybe most of it, would become apparent on this coming exploratory ten day visit. But if I don’t still think it’s a great decision and lifestyle choice after my famous 90 Day Trial Period for anything important–meaning by May, 2013, I am just as free to leave as I now am to go there. Many people have a personal myth that they do not have the freedom to pick themselves up and start over again in a new place surrounded by new people. But we all do. I have a lot of information about Panama thanks to Tony, plus his support and that of his friends once I get there. This leads me to believe there is an 80% chance I will stay. But I don’t mind the 20% uncertainty that I might find myself in 2014 as a resident in New York, or London, or Capetown, or some place I have never been, like Bali or Singapore or Naples. One never knows, and for me, that is part of the excitement and joy of life–I relish the uncertainty.

Jerry

 NameEmail
 

About the Author Jerry

Popular posts